Bed and Breakfasts Forever

My parents arrived the Saturday after Saint Patrick’s day. I took the bus into the airport, but ran into problems because a water charges protest was taking place. There were parades of people flooding the streets. People were chanting and holding protest signs.  It seemed almost crazier than Saint Patrick’s day! My bus couldn’t continue on it’s normal route, so the bus driver got on the intercom and said that the bus would be re-routing. I got off to try and catch my next bus at another stop, but buses all over were not running! I finally made it to a stop I needed, and even managed to end up with a protestor sign in hand. IMG_2444 IMG_2446 IMG_2452

I waited at the arrivals gate for my family who never came out. After an extensive miscommunication, we were reunited. My dad, who may be slightly crazy, decided to rent a car. Not only did he not know the roads, he also had to add driving on the left side of the road. We made it back to my apartment alive. I showed them around what little there is to show at my apartment, and then we sat and talked to Kelly and Ali before hitting the road again.

IMG_2538 IMG_2543

We headed to county Tipperary, where we stayed in Rockville Hose Bed and Breakfast. After getting settled in, we ate at Bailey’s hotel, where we discovered our love of Camembert cheese and red pepper relish. After a night’s sleep filled with plenty of snoring by my dad, we went to Rock of Cashel, which could be seen from our B&B.

IMG_2456  1907472_10205826801690662_1598270000925091252_n  22285_10205831729813862_1591935005985413123_n  IMG_2464 IMG_2476 1660505_10205831735173996_4932269639813549950_n IMG_2485 IMG_2478 IMG_2488 IMG_2501  IMG_2508

After Rock of Cashel, we stopped in Cobh and went to the Titanic Experience. Cobh was the last stop of the Titanic before it left on it’s infamous final journey. The museum was in the White Starline Ticket Office, which is where some of the passengers would have passed through before boarding.


The dock passengers would have used to get onto the transfer boat headed out to meet the Titanic


11024759_10205831831936415_9055342114293040384_n 11053436_10205831822656183_4211323491060389984_n

IMG_2564 IMG_2562IMG_2552 IMG_2559  IMG_2551 IMG_2550

After lunch at Jacob’s Ladder, we headed on to Blarney. Our Bed and Breakfast for the night was called The White House. The Woolen Mills and Blarney Castle were just a short walk away; however, they had just closed for the night, so we headed back. The next morning, I had to go back to Dublin by train to turn in a paper for class, and then later that night trained back to Killarney where my parents had traveled to after visiting Blarney Castle.

IMG_2566 IMG_2570 IMG_2576

The roads were super narrow and windy. It was pretty scary, yet exhilarating considering how dark out it was. The road was only wide enough for one car, yet there was two way traffic. We didn’t meet many people on the way there, but when we did, whoever reached a pull-off point first would get to the side. The scary part was the rocks and drop-offs on both sides. Our Bed and Breakfast for the night was on a sheep farm called Hillcrest Farmhouse. In the morning, we got to feed the sheep! They were really friendly, which may have been in part due to the toast we had in hand. A few of them kept trying to get right up in my face– I was not about to complain because I love sheep.

IMG_2580 IMG_2592 IMG_2596 IMG_2597 IMG_2602 IMG_2605 IMG_2609 IMG_2614 IMG_2622 IMG_2626 IMG_2634

In the morning, I was able to see the roads we had driven the night before, which is in a region called the Black Valley.

IMG_2620 10425068_10205848642396666_853855325154965286_nIMG_2643 IMG_2645 IMG_2654 IMG_2660 IMG_2663 IMG_2665 IMG_2671 IMG_2674 IMG_2678 IMG_2682 IMG_2684

Afterwards, we headed over Lady’s View, where we saw a complete rainbow stretching across the valley, and then traveled down to Lough Leane. It was all so beautiful! Ellen and my dad both fell multiple times as we were climbing around the rocks and such by the lake. The Stuckwisch family likes to pretend to be outdoorsy– we just aren’t always very good at it. We also got caught in a random hailstorm. However, Irish weather is bipolar within the day, so it cleared up within a few minutes and went back to being beautiful outside.




Ellen in a hailstorm

IMG_2693 IMG_2700IMG_2706 IMG_2708 IMG_2710 IMG_2715 IMG_2722 IMG_2729 IMG_2735

Afterwards, we headed over to Killarney National park. We hiked a little bit, saw Torc waterfall, and found bright green, shag trees that looked like they were carpeted in the 80’s.

IMG_2741 IMG_2750 IMG_2752 IMG_2757 11004640_906798202715712_2695736493219909672_o IMG_2763 IMG_2769 IMG_2774 IMG_2780

We were going to spend time in Muckross farms, but it was still closed for another weekend. Instead, we went into Muckross House, a huge 1800s mansion. It had 25 bedrooms and 22 bathrooms. We couldn’t take any pictures, but you can take my word that it was very ornate.

IMG_2782 IMG_2784 IMG_2783

From here, we went through Limerick and ended in our Bed and Breakfast in Ennis, which was called Railway View House. The next morning, I went back by train to Dublin because I had an exam to take. By the time I got off the bus at campus, it was 1:51 and my exam started at 2. I power walked across campus and made it just in time for a pretty difficult short answer equine nutrition exam. 1511046_10205854083372687_6157238595690935732_n 10452325_10205854082692670_539757875218768551_n 11058267_10205854082052654_2183354080300518442_n

My parents came back and met up with me the next day, so Thursday I showed them around Dublin. We went to the Chester Beatty Library, which has a bunch of religious documents, including old Bible excerpts on Papyrus paper. We also walked through the Temple Bar area, ate donuts at my favourite shop on O’Connell Street, and grabbed some food from my favourite burrito place.

11071738_10205864959484583_3028288427414829526_n 10570320_10205864905443232_7521442719810424968_n 10473551_10205864961444632_6719637708412271081_n 10460348_10205864899443082_3164142539191233047_n 603793_10205864899763090_520478820062391777_n

That night, we flew out to England, and stayed in Faringdon for two nights with Sarah, who had been hosted by my dad’s family 35 years ago on an exchange program. The first morning there, we explored the Cotswold region, Lower Slaughter, Bibury, and the Uffington White Horse.

IMG_7122 IMG_2808    IMG_2816 IMG_2817 IMG_2858 IMG_2839   IMG_2855 IMG_2841 IMG_2871  IMG_2916 20714_906799142715618_1872135018744719124_n IMG_2920 IMG_2925 IMG_2929 IMG_2933 IMG_2937  IMG_2952  IMG_2989  IMG_3010 IMG_3016 IMG_3036 IMG_3053 IMG_3049  IMG_3073 IMG_3086 IMG_3088

Day two, we went to Folley Tower. It was pretty much built just because the guy could. Then we walked through the Great Coxwell Barn, previously a storage place for crop tithes to the abbey. To end our England excursion, we spent some time in a coffee shop in Faringdon before heading back to collect our belongings and return to Ireland.

IMG_3090 IMG_3106IMG_3093 IMG_3094  IMG_3128 IMG_3137   11107171_10203949926524392_2583250596203392359_n IMG_3162IMG_3167

We had a lot of good food while in England– hot cross buns, lardy cake, and a nice home cooked dinner.


Back in Dublin, we spent the night at another Bed and Breakfast. The next morning, we went to the Little Museum of Dublin, and then walked over to my church. 11054527_10205880585115214_8236881493472507864_n 11018616_10205880588075288_5716506406193124961_n11082634_10205880593075413_5641254743503327527_n

We did what any family would do after a nice church service, and visited the Guinness Storehouse. None of us who were legal could get our whole pint down. Ellen didn’t get a chance to try because she isn’t at the drinking age for Ireland. I have since learned that we weren’t drinking it correctly. You don’t sip Guinness. You take six, big gulps and it should be gone.

IMG_3187 IMG_3208 IMG_3211 IMG_3222IMG_3220  IMG_3232 IMG_3235 IMG_3241 10006422_10205880597075513_3815095240335841005_n 11079600_10205881985630226_7552156979641758310_n 11091147_10205881986070237_4398619313234886181_n 11082608_10205881986630251_4287002878337928828_n

After the Guinness Storehouse, we hurried over to Dun Laoghaire to try and catch the last of the farmer’s market. Fortunately there were still vendors out, and we ate lots of delicious, warm bread. From there, we went on a walk along the water, but a storm started rolling in. So, we headed back to the airport and had dinner there before we parted ways. My parents had a hard time saying good-bye, and even I had a little bit of a sad feeling as I took the bus back alone.

11064701_10205881987750279_331676800599050076_n 10401995_10205882086312743_2754541241116908165_n



  • We had a full Irish Breakfast at pretty much every B&B. It was a lot of food! I wasn’t so much a fan of the black sausage. It may have been a mental thing knowing that it had blood in it. However, brown bread is delicious. My mom tried taking special flour home to make some, and kept getting stopped by security. To my knowledge, the flour made it home.
  • I was exhausted by the end of the week from about three straight weeks of running around. I took the next week or so catching up on energy.

2 thoughts on “Bed and Breakfasts Forever

  1. Becky Grelle says:

    Did you plan this: “Parades of people FLOODING the streets”? Haha, over WATER charges! That’s good Mal! And I love your folks, but you tell these tales much better. The pics are so beautiful. Please bring me back a Green Shag Tree to plant in my side yard.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s